Monday, June 18, 2012

Happiness vs. Success.

I have done a lot, probably more than I should, of thinking about what is the difference between the two.  Are they the same?  Do you develop one from the other?  Is money happiness?  Does being successful mean having lots of spending money?  My conclusion: who the hell knows.  We all measure it differently; however, this is what I've learned.

Number one; my family makes me happy.  I am happy being a mom, and being a wife (most days) ;).
Money makes things easier.  Life easier.
I am not a high maintenance person.  Just ask my hubs.  It drives him crazy sometimes how cheap (?) I can be.
The financial decisions we've made up until now have lead us to being homeowners.  Having a home of our own makes me happy.
I agree, in a sense, that having money means you are successful.  BUT - seeing someone love what they do and not get paid what they should first hand, has made me realize that isn't always the case.  Devon kicks ass at his job.  He is good at what he does.  That to me is being successful, as well.
Donald Trump is also successful, but can be an ass.  So can my husband.
I want to teach my children to be YOU.  Yes, they will follow trends.  Yes, they will want things.  But they need to know that there is more to life than that chanel purse, or Air Jordan's.  Devon and I will do what we can, but we need to say no.  I am a sucker for my kids.  This will be more challenging for me (I think).

I think we all define it on our own.  Depending on what it important to you, or what kind of person you are.  We all have different perspectives; but that doesn't mean that either of us are wrong or right.  It is hard in this material world to say material things aren't the most important.  And I want my kids to have memories of us doing happy things together, versus buying expensive things together.  It is amazing how much being a parent can change you.  It changed me.  In the best way possible.

0 comments: