Friday, November 14, 2014

Changes + Church + Concerts

There are so many misconceptions about marriage and relationships. Through our family, to our friends, to the media and all of Hollywood. It gets confusing. Hell, it gets frustrating. I think we usually marry for the right reasons… love. But we don’t understand that so many more things… emotions, expectations, disappointments, triumphs… aren’t exactly understood. And then when we face all or none of those things, we do not know how to handle them. We live in a world of selfishness. I want this, now. This is someone else’s fault. Apologizing, but repeating the same mistakes. And most of the time, instead of working to change ourselves (we can ALL use some improvement), we immediately demand changes from someone else. I have been in that place for a long, long time. Not with just marriage. With my childhood, and relationships with family, and even with parenting. I knew that love existed. But it wasn’t until I made a leap to reach out for help from other people and places that I really understood what love meant. I shouldn’t just say I took the leap. Dev and I both did. We started attending church almost two months ago. D’s first service he attended with me was about marriage and how it was the foundation of family. What it actually meant to love, to be selfless, to try, and to set an example for children if you had them. It hit us like a ton of bricks. That same day, I signed us up for some marriage classes taking place at that same church in hopes to learn more and to apply these lessons to our life. We were read a statistic last Sunday that simply stated families who attend church together are overall happier. Some of us may agree, some of us may not. I personally do. We already feel changes, we already communicate differently, we already love better. The most important things I have learned are 1) marriage is constant effort whether you ‘feel’ like it or not and 2) love is not just a feeling, it’s what you do. The later has had the biggest impact on me. I am not an affectionate or affirmative person. I am the last person to give a hug just because. And I am still working on it. I think it’s a lifelong learning process. Although it will never be easy, I can honestly say we feel happier as a whole…so far. Opening our lives to God, Jesus, a new church family, and basically building our beliefs from scratch has moved mountains for us. I cannot wait to continue this journey. With that, something not related at all. Miranda Lambert, we will see you on January 17th. And Mr. Sam Hunt, you as well on March 12. ;)

0 comments: